Behavior in the Library (NEW)
The library serves all customers equally and is open to everyone. Our goal is to create a secure, relaxing, and pleasant place to learn and explore. Everyone has an equal right to access the library. No one has the right to interfere with another person’s use of library resources, services, or facilities. Follow all posted guidelines. Additional guidelines may apply to children and teens as well as to certain library spaces.
Our buildings are open and available for those who are carrying out library-related activities. Those using facilities for non-library activities or acting in a way that disturbs other customers will be asked to stop the behavior or leave the library. These behaviors may include:
- Any activity in violation of local, federal or state law (soliciting or panhandling, being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs, etc.).
- Creating noises that are disruptive to other customers.
- Smoking, including the use of electronic or vapor cigarettes, inside the library or within twenty five feet of the library entrance. Smoking is not permitted anywhere on the SJSU campus.
- Harassment of any kind.
- Disruptive, obscene, or abusive voices, language, gestures, or activities.
- Leaving personal items unattended.
- Blocking entrances, aisles, or passageways with body or personal belongings (including unicycles, bedding, strollers, or other transportation items).
- Presenting strong pervasive odors, including odors caused by perfume or cologne.
- Bringing pets or animals, other than service animals, into the library.
- Damaging or misusing library buildings, furniture, equipment, or materials.
- Audio, video, photographic, or any other recording of a library customer.
- Any activity which creates an unsafe and unwelcoming environment.
- Disobeying the direction of library or security staff.
Persons acting inappropriately will be asked to stop by staff. Customers who violate these guidelines may be suspended from using the library. The staff procedures for enforcement of this policy may be found online. Staff may call local law enforcement to provide assistance in enforcing this policy.
Any customer suspended from the library may request an appeal hearing. Customers suspended for more than a month will require a re-entry meeting with Library Security staff before returning to the library. A commitment to follow these behavior guidelines is required to restore library access.
We reserve the right to search personal belongings to prevent loss of library materials in accordance with state law.
Lost and Found
The library is not responsible for any items you leave behind. Lost items may be claimed after presenting proper identification.
The King Library has a centralized lost and found on the ground floor service desk. Items valued at over $100, or that could be used for identity theft (e.g. driver's license), are delivered daily to the University Police Department (UPD). Contact the UPD property and evidence technician at 408-924-1477 to retrieve lost property.
Library security does not track or log any lost and found items. Staff at the King Library will not attempt to contact customers regarding their found property. Every Wednesday, other items are collected from the library lost and found and discarded.
At SJPL branches, items are held for two weeks before disposing of the item by discarding, turning in to the police department, or donating to charity. Items of obvious value, including wallets, cell phones, jewelry, cash, and credit cards, are held in a secure location. If the owner of the item is known, staff will try to contact them as soon as possible.
Food and Drink
You are welcome to enjoy snack foods and covered drinks in most areas of the King Library and at SJPL branch locations. Only covered drinks are allowed at public computers; food is not allowed at computers. Group meals and food deliveries are not allowed unless authorized by the library for a special function. Please dispose of all trash in the correct containers. Report all spills to staff immediately.
Quiet and/or Silent Areas
Sometimes you may want to visit a quiet or silent area in the library. Both quiet and silent areas are available at all our locations. At SJPL branches, these spaces are labeled, “Quiet Study Room” and “Tech Center.” Please respect the needs of one another and observe the silent and quiet restrictions of these spaces. Use of cell phones is prohibited in these spaces and must be kept on vibrate or silent.
The King Library has quiet and silent areas located on the following floors:
Silent Area: Floor 7
- No conversation is permitted.
Quiet Area: Floors 6 & 8
- Low-level, minimal conversation is allowed.