Become a PAR Tutor
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Speak English well
- Read and write English well
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Have patience, flexibility, cultural sensitivity, enthusiasm and a sense of humor
- Pass fingerprint clearance
- Attend 14 hours of initial tutor training
- Tutor 3 hours per week for a minimum of 6 months
- Submit monthly hours reports
- Meet in a library or other public place for tutoring sessions
PAR Tutor Benefits
- Free instructional materials
- Professional development and support through tutor support meetings, in-service workshops, and individual consultation with staff
- The satisfaction of helping your community grow stronger by helping adults build their literacy skills
- Knowledge that you are making a significant difference in an adult's life
Register for Tutor Training. If you have questions please call the PAR office at 1-408-808-2361.
Tutors volunteer for many reasons, including giving back and making a personal connection. Will you?
"I am thankful for this amazing program. I can't imagine not being able to read. That thought is what keeps me involved in PAR, as well as the dedicated staff who run the program, and the great volunteers." - Tutor S. R.