Jobs at the Library
How to Apply
To apply for San José Public Library jobs, please visit the City of San José’s employment page at www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs and select the "Open-Competitive Recruitments" link.
We will be accepting applications for the following jobs:
Salary Range: $56,305.60–68,390.40
Job ID: 1800732
Full/Part Time: Full-time
Employee Status: Regular
Close Date: May 4, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Get Started: More Details & Apply Online
Position and Duties
The Library is seeking a Warehouse Supervisor to manage and participate in warehouse operations, activities, and tasks for the Logistics unit in the department. Under general supervision, this position performs work of moderate difficulty in the operation of a warehouse including the planning, receipt, storage, issuance, and distribution of a variety of supplies, materials, parts, and equipment. The Logistics Unit is responsible for providing services and materials to all 23 branch libraries and King Library within the San José Public Library System, including driving of the box trucks, the delivery of all new and circulating library materials (books, DVDs, audio books, and mail) and other printed material, and related work as required. The Warehouse Supervisor also plans and supervises the work of a team, which consists of 7 full-time and part-time Warehouse Workers. The position is located at the King Library in downtown San José and the Logistics Unit’s hours of operation are between 6:30 AM and 3:30 PM.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Planning and supervising the operations of a library warehouse facilities unit, including supervising, and evaluating subordinates
- Establishing minimum and maximum stock levels through knowledge of usage patterns, stock availability, lead times, specialized usage requirements, shelf life and other pertinent factors
- Supervising an interdepartmental messenger and mail service
- Keeping a clean and safe working environment and optimizing space utilization
- Communicating and cooperating with library managers, supervisors, and coworkers
- Operating warehouse vehicles and equipment
- Supervising and participating in the maintenance of inventory records, in the pick-up and delivery of stock items from City warehouses; may pick up or deliver emergency items to/from branches or vendors
- Other duties as related
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
- Education: Completion of high school, General Education Development Certificate or California Proficiency Certificate.
- Experience: Five (5) years of increasingly responsible warehouse experience in a moderate size warehouse, two (2) years of which should be supervising others in the receipt, warehouse inventory control of a wide variety of commodities or three (3) years leading others at a level equivalent to Warehouse Worker II
- License/Certificates: Possession of a valid Class A California driver's license.
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
Why work at San José Public Library?
It is an exciting time in San José! With overwhelming support from our communities and our City Council, we are increasing our open hours at all of our library branches. Would you like to work for one of the most exciting and innovative library systems in the nation? Now is your opportunity!
San José Public Library offers:
- Culturally diverse population of nearly 959,000 in the country's 10th largest city.
- One of the busiest library systems nationwide with an annual checkout rate of nearly 14 million items.
- Award-winning innovation and leadership: 2004 Thomson Gale/Library Journal Library of the Year and 2011 National Medal for Museum and Library Service, the nation’s highest honor for a library.
- New expanded hours for all branch locations
- Library Parcel Tax expansion recently approved by San José Voters
SJPL Employment Notifications
Don’t miss out on important SJPL employment opportunities. Stay connected through one of more of the following ways:
Library Career Employment Workshops and Webinars
SJPL hosts and participates in various library employment workshops and webinars. To be notified of future and workshops email Personnel@sjlibrary.org.
- None scheduled at this time. Check back soon.
SJPL has an extensive volunteer program. To find more information on current volunteer opportunities and to start gaining valuable and rewarding experience working in a library, go to the SJPL’s Volunteer page to sign up.