2018 Gira de Libro Library Tour by Bicycle
UPDATE: Check out photos from the 2018 Tour
Join us for the fifth annual Gira de Libro Library Tour by Bicycle on Saturday, May 12
The ride will visit the following libraries:
Register online at Eventbrite
Children under the age of 13 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian.
- The Tour date is Saturday, May 12, 2018. Participants may begin arriving at 8:45 AM, at the Joyce Ellington Branch Library. Tour departs branch at 9:45 AM.
- From 8:45 AM - 9:45 AM Community Cycles of California will be onsite to do basic bicycle safety checks and adjustments.
- The 20 mile route will start and finish at the Joyce Ellington Branch at 491 East Empire Street.
- The Tour is ridden at a casual and leisurely pace and we try to stay together as a group.
- Route map available on MapMyRide
- New this year! Mobile Bike Repair Clinic at Joyce Ellington on Thursday, May 10, 4:00-6:00 PM
- NOTE: The bicycle tour will not be held in the event of inclement weather
- 8:45 AM Check-in begins at Joyce Ellington Branch
- 9:30 AM Bicycle safety talk
- 9:45 AM Depart Branch
- 10:35 AM Arrive Lupe Columbian Mammoth
- 11:15 AM Arrive Riverview Park
- 12:20 PM Arrive Alviso Marina
- 12:45 PM Arrive Alviso Branch
- 3:30 PM Arrive Joyce Ellington Branch
- 4:00 PM Finish
Library stops will include library tours, snacks and activities.
*NOTE: Longer stop at Alviso Branch for light lunch provided by San Jose Public Library
Stuff to Bring
In addition to having a bicycle in good working condition, please bring your own following items for a more comfortable and safer ride:
- Reusable water bottle
- Lunch and snacks
- Bike helmet
- Layers and/or weather appropriate clothing
Share the adventure or follow the journey:
- AMGEN Tour of California
- Community Cycles of California
- Friends of the San Jose Public Library
- Panera Bread
- San Jose Sports Authority
Why Bicycle Library Tours?
The Gira de Libro Library Tour by Bicycle is a fun tour for library lovers and bicycle enthusiasts. With the growing momentum of bicycle awareness, advocacy and infrastructure in Silicon Valley, libraries are pursuing innovative bicycle-related services and programming. Hosting library bicycle tours increases the visibility of our libraries and get librarians out into the community.
Library bicycle tours appeal to a broad demographic including young adults, adults and families. They bring people of all ages together and highlight the importance and significance of the library's role in the community and in bringing people together. Additionally, library bicycle tours get people of all ages out of cars and moving, showing that bicycling is a viable means of transportation to the library and everyday use.
What's in a name?
The name of the Tour, Gira de Libro Library Tour by Bicycle, is a play on the name of the famous Italian professional road bike stage race, Gira D'Italia, which starts May 4. SJPL's Gira de Libro roughly translates to "turns of the book" or "book tour."