Early Literacy at Home: February 2018 Calendar
These fun & simple activities are just one way to help develop your child’s pre-reading skills. Pick and choose or try them all!
Visit events.sjpl.org to find library programs and events near you!
February 2018 Activities
- February 1: Practice fine motor skills by cutting up paper by hand
- February 2: Look for your shadow when you go outside today. Did you find it?
- February 3: Count to 20 using fingers and toes
- February 4: Tell a story about your favorite toy
- February 5: Make a list of words that begin with the letter F
- February 6: Line up toys from your bed to the door. How many did you use?
- February 7: Try something new today
- February 8: Go for a walk outside. Let your child lead the way
- February 9: Learn to say "Goodbye" in a different language
- February 10: Trace letters in a tray or rice, beans or other grain
- February 11: Point out different colors when sorting the laundry
- February 12: Make up a song about your favorite food
- February 13: What is the weather like today?
- February 14: Practice drawing hearts for someone special
- February 15: Play a game of I Spy around your home
- February 16: Decorate a piece of paper to use as a bookmark
- February 17: Point to the words on the page when reading together
- February 18: Practice tapping two pencils together to a rhythm
- February 19: LIBRARY CLOSED - PRESIDENT'S DAY HOLIDAY Practice spelling your name
- February 20: Use a towel as a magic carpet. Where will you go?
- February 21: Make a list of animals that start with the letter F
- February 22: How long does it take an ice cube to melt?
- February 23: Visit the library
- February 24: Practice stringing beads on a string or pipe cleaner
- February 25: Talk about different road signs on your next outing by car or by foot
- February 26: Play with blocks
- February 27: Trace your hand on a piece of paper
- February 28: Play a game of pretend with your toys