Early Literacy Activities to do at Home: December 2017 Calendar
These fun and simple activities are just one way to help develop your child's pre-reading skills. Pick and choose or try them all!
Visit sjpl.org/events to find library programs and events near you!
December 2017 Calendar of Activities
- December 1: Read a book about winter weather
- December 2: Take turns thinking of words that start with the same letter
- December 3: Put an ice cub in a bowl and add salt. What happens?
- December 4: Point to pictures in a book and say the name of the object
- December 5: Play with blocks
- December 6: Count all the squirrels you see on a walk today
- December 7: Have an indoor picnic
- December 8: Visit the library
- December 9: Talk about what clothes you wear during cold weather
- December 10: Look for something green in each room in your home
- December 11: Use a favorite picture book to play a game of "I Spy"
- December 12: Count the number of steps from your bed to the closet.
- December 13: Play with puzzles
- December 14: Talk about shapes and sizes when putting away dishes
- December 15: Read a book about friendship
- December 16: What is the weather like today?
- December 17: Play a game of "Which One Doesn't Belong" with household items
- December 18: Talk about the taste and texture of your food at meal times
- December 19: Play with bubbles
- December 20: Visit the library
- December 21: Clap to the beat of your favorite song
- December 22: Make a list of the things and people that make you happy
- December 23: Read a book about hibernation
- December 24: LIBRARY CLOSED - CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY
- December 25: LIBRARY CLOSED - CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY
- December 26: LIBRARY CLOSED - CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY
- December 27: Make up a story about your favorite toy
- December 28: Draw a picture for someone special
- December 29: Talk about three new things you want to try next year
- December 30: Clap your hands as you count to five
- December 31: LIBRARY CLOSED - CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY