Position and Duties
Please note that applications are currently not accepted through CalOpps or any other third party job board application system. To apply, applicants must complete an application via the City of San Jose’s website at www.sanjoseca.gov/citycareers.
Under the supervision of the Security Services Supervisor, this part-time position is responsible for performing work focused around security services at any of the 24 Jose Public Library branches, and providing a safe and orderly environment for staff and the public. The Security Officer will provide security support to the Security unit at branches needing security personnel.
The salary range for Security Officer - Part Time is $27.14 to 32.99 per hour. This amount includes an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable pay. Actual salary shall be determined by the final candidates’ qualifications and experience.
This position requires afternoon to early evening availability Monday – Sunday. Shift rotation may be required every 6 months and will be based on the needs of the department. The Security Officer will monitor the flow of library customers inside the library building and assist staff with responding to Library Conduct Policy violations, as well as notification of dangerous incidents to the police department. The Security Officer will also monitor and respond to incidents on library property and the outside perimeter of library buildings and library parking lots. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Interact with a diverse population of library customers and employees to preserve a calm, inviting, and safe community environment; provide customer service to library customers, such as providing general information and assistance.
- Patrol multiple library branch locations, including building interior and exterior to identifying and deter illegal activities, suspicious behavior or dangerous situations, while promoting a positive visual presence.
- Address and deescalate difficult, complex, or potentially volatile situations such as uncooperative library customers in a positive manner; determine the best means of solving security situations, including enforcing library procedures and policies to prevent conduct policy violations and criminal activity before it happens, warn customers of rule infractions or violations, and suspend violators.
- Investigate potentially hazardous conditions and communicates with Police, Fire, Ambulance, and other agencies as appropriate; liaise with the University Police Department and San Jose Police Department, as needed;
- Respond to emergencies at any of the branch libraries; Respond to medical emergencies and may provide first aid or CPR.
- Interpret and apply legal statutes, laws, departmental policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Provide information and write up incident reports; draft suspension requests; assist with documentation of activities and irregularities, such as disruptions, trespassing, intoxication, harassment, and other behaviors
- Draft, extract and maintain confidential, security-related records/information
- Provide guidance to library staff on library security procedures and appropriate incident response.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Patrols City property, watching for signs of intruders/ illegal lodging, vandalism, damage to property or needed repairs; reports necessary repairs or suspicious circumstances which cannot be taken care of personally
- Checks to see that building security is maintained and that building is secured.
- Handles disturbance problems, enforces safety regulations, provides information on security measures, enforcement activities and emergency procedures.
- May assist in recovery of materials, loss prevention, investigation of illegal acts committed.
- May request emergency police, fire, or ambulance services if needed.