Graphic Novel Making Contest 2017
June 1 – July 31, 2017
If you have a talent for creating comic/manga style illustrated short stories, you are invited to enter San José Public Library’s Graphic Novel Making Contest for all ages as part of our 2017 Summer Reading Challenge. This contest is sponsored by San José Public Library, San Jose Museum of Art, TRY Japan Culture Group, Sakura of America, Oni Press, Action Lab Entertainment.
- Create your own comic book with a maximum length of 8 pages, including the cover page.
- Use letter-size paper (8.5 x 11) with black-and-white drawings and text on one side only.
- Each submission must be the creative and original work of a single individual—the author/illustrator.
- The contest is limited to amateur authors/ illustrators only.
- Computer generated images are acceptable as long as they are your original work (no clip art)
- Consider submitting a photocopy that is an accurate reflection of the original (as submissions are non-returnable).
- San José Public Library reserves the right to reproduce your work. You can reuse all your work after the contest.
- Print and complete the Graphic Novel Making Contest Entry Form and the Photo / Creative Works Release Form. Forms turned in without the Photo/Creative Works Release Form will be ineligible.
- Entries can be submitted to any San José Public Library location no later than 7:00 PM on Monday, July 31, 2017.
- Entries can also be submitted online to firstname.lastname@example.org as a JPEG or PDF attachment. Digital entries may be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on Monday, July 31.
- There is a limit of one entry per contestant.
Entries will be judged using a rubric scale covering the following: overall story, originality, creativity and illustrations; by a panel of library staff and comic industry professionals. All cash prizes will be awarded as gift cards.
- Children (up to age 8): Gift and art supply baskets awarded for first, second and third place winners.
- Children (9-12): Gift and art supply baskets awarded for first, second and third place winners.
- Teens (13-17): First place $100; second place $70; third place $50
- Adults (18 and above): First place $100; second place $70; third place $50
The awards ceremony was held at the Seven Trees Branch Library on Saturday, August 26, 2017, at 2:00 PM in the Banquet Hall. Winners will be announced and prizes awarded. Check out photos from the event.
San José Public Library staff members are ineligible to participate.
San José Public Library reserves the right to refuse submissions that are not appropriate for a general audience. This contest is open to all California residents.