Resource Family 101
What does “Resource Family” mean?
The new term for foster parent, or an individual, couple or family that is prepared to mento, strengthen and support foster youth who cannot be cared for by their birth parents.
Who can be a Resource Family?
* A child’s relatives (grandparents, aunts/uncles)
* An adult with a connection to the child (coach, teacher or neighbor)
* An adult with no relation to the child
What does a Resource Family do?
* Provide high-quality parenting
* Respect a child’s culture and background
* Maintain a connection to the biological family
* Mentor birth parents
* Maintain a lifelong commitment to the child
How are Resource Families supported?
* Financial reimbursement to cover a child’s basic needs
* Child care for family emergencies
* Resource Family support groups
* Continual educational training and much more!
We are always looking for Resource Families excited about working with a child’s birth parents towards reunification. If you are ready to give a child love, support and stability during their time of need, please call (408) 299 KIDS (5437) to find out when a informational meeting is happening near you.