At its core, the San José Public Library is a classroom outside of a traditional classroom. We are driven to ensure that all residents of San José are fully engaged students with equitable access to a community of learning. SJPL believes that people of all ages and backgrounds should have the agency and empowerment to learn about new ideas, skills and possibilities- and the City of San José believes it too! Through the citywide Educational & Digital Literacy Strategy, led by SJPL, we are recreating our entire city as a classroom; a place where our residents can learn, explore, connect, and grow!
Through this strategy, we will focus our efforts on:
- An Education Policy for the City of San José, ensuring we as City leaders are held accountable for our efforts
- Quality STEAM based programs for youth through our branches and Maker[Space]Ship
- Early Education support for families with our youngest learners
- Improved programming for students after school and during summer, which helps them continue the learning that happened during the school year
- College and career readiness for the next generation of Silicon Valley’s workers and innovators
- And, digital literacy for all ages, so that San José residents can feel connected and empowered in our ever more digital world.
Staff approached the work of the Education and Digital Literacy Strategy by prioritizing the following values:
- Equity of access to quality educational experiences for all children of San José is essential and must be cultivated by actively removing barriers;
- Opportunity to experience a wide variety of educational options should be extended to all learners, connecting students to skill-based learning, mentors, and potential career pathways;
- Quality of program offerings must be illustrated by establishing standards for student learning and assessing program efficacy, and;
- Accountability to our youth and their families is the primary consideration when assessing any programmatic outcome or resource investment in learning and education.
SJPL also knows that collaboration is critical for the success of our community, and through our Education & Digital Literacy work we have partnered with many other City departments, organizations, and institutions that are also working hard to provide quality opportunities for learning and discovery to our City; partners such as:
- PRNS & Work 2 Future
- School districts
- Santa Clara County Department of Education
- First 5
- Collective educational organizations such as Region 5
With support from City Council and the Mayor's Office, SJPL has worked to create a comprehensive strategy and implementation plan for San José residents in four main development areas shown to be critical for student success: