Child Health and Safety Resources
- Kids Health
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- My Plate
- Nutrition information from the U.S. Department of Agriculture
- How To Report Unsafe Child Products to the CPSC
- Prevention of Unintentional Childhood Injury — Safe Kids Worldwide
- Unintentional childhood injury is the #1 killer of children 14 and under.
- Toy Safety Publications from the CPSC
- Toy Selection Guidelines — Baby Center Tips for Toy Safety
Child Abuse or Neglect
- Reporting Suspected Child Abuse or Neglect
- In cases of an immediate emergency, always call 911 for law enforcement intervention.
- Where the situation is not an emergency needing the police, reports should be made to the Child Abuse and Neglect Hotlines in the following areas:
- San José area: (408) 299-2071
- Gilroy/Morgan Hill area: (408) 683-0601
- Palo Alto area: (650) 493-1186
- Child Abuse and Neglect Info, Reporting, etc. — Child Abuse Council of Santa Clara County
- Child Abuse Council of Santa Clara County: Community Resources
- Classes, agencies, and services; Reporting of abuse
- Perinatal Substance Abuse Protocol
- Safe Sleeping Recommendations for babies
- Santa Clara County Substance Abuse Treatment Resources for Pregnant and Parenting Women, etc.
- Child Advocates of Silicon Valley: services to abused, neglected, and abandoned children
Shaken Baby Syndrome
- National Center on Shaken Baby Syndrome
- "Shaken Baby Syndrome (SBS) is the collection of signs and symptoms resulting from the violent shaking of an infant or small child. It is a form of child abuse."
- This site has information on what to do if you suspect your child has been shaken, preparing for court, SBS symptoms, coping with crying, etc.