We are so very saddened to hear that master storyteller William Goldman has passed away. If you are unfamiliar with Goldman, now is a perfect time to learn about a person who injected something magical into so many films and his own original books, which are nothing short of literary gems. In fact, many people might not realize the extent and influence of the Goldman cannon. As far as Viewers Advisory is concerned, Goldman has written some of the most perfect books with just the right mixture of adventure, humor, beauty, friendship, evil, and romance served up with a sprinkling of the bizarre.
These are just some of the William Goldman movies that we love. Check out some of these movies on DVD or stream Marathon Man for free on Hoopla with your library card.
Some of our favorite fiction and nonfiction books by William Goldman.
Available on Hoopla.
- Goldman wrote his first novel, The Temple of Gold, in 10 days.
- The Princess Bride was a story written completely for his two young daughters: one wanted a story about a princess and the other wanted a story about a bride.
- The Princess Bride was not a box-office success, its success is due to a cult following that has grown to epic proportions in the years following.
- Goldman won two Oscars for his screenplays for All the President’s Men and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, both of which starred Robert Redford.
- Goldman became screenwriter for All The President's Men by accident. He was asked by his friend, Robert Redford, to attend an early meeting with the real-life reporters Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward and provide input on their story. Later, Bernstein and Woodward's publisher sent galley proofs of their book to Goldman's agent. Goldman took this to mean he was hired to write the adaptation, and so he did (and won an Oscar!).