Silicon Valley Young Coder's Club
Students ages 10–17 can learn about computer science, programming, and how to start-up your own software/app business and build entrepreneurial & coding skills, for FREE!
About the Young Coders Club
Students will become motivated about technology while developing entrepreneurial fundamentals. After each class, students will have the option of doing supplemental homework and will work towards completing a capstone project throughout the duration of the course.
By the end of the course students will learn:
- The startup business plan process
- Financing the product and startup
- Presentation skills and how to pitch the business plan.
Pre-requisites: Just a passion to learn! No laptops or any other pre-requisites are needed for this class.
The Young Coders Club will meet on Saturdays at the Bascom Branch (October 7 – December 16, 3:00 – 4:00 PM), Cambrian Branch (October 7 – December 16, 4:00 – 5:00 PM), and Vineland Branch (November 4 – December 16).
- Session 1. What is Creativity? What sparked Facebook, Google, and others? What is my passion?
- Session 2. Behavior traits for a successful entrepreneur.
- Session 3. Turning your passion into a business opportunity. Do what you love and create a new future. Can my passion create money? Is money needed? What is the business opportunity.
- Session 4. Steps needed for your startup: 1, 2, 3, GO! Learn the possibilities of what a startup can generate. Make the world better, get acquired, initial public offering (IPO), etc.
- Session 5. Financials of the business opportunity. How do you price your product? How do you plan your first and second year of operation?
- Session 6. Presentation skills, successful pitches, and what ideas got funded showcasing the pitch template.
- Session 7 & Milestone Day. Filing your patent, patent gotchas, successes and failures. The day to hand your business plans for evaluation to the instructor. Instructor will pick the top 12 business plans from the class and invite the student to present to a panel of Silicon Valley Venture Capitalists and entrepreneurs.
- Session 8. Tweaking business plans and getting it presentation-ready.
- Session 9. Twelve teams pitch to a panel of Ventura Capitalists and Silicon Valley entrepreneurs with one emerging as the top startup idea.
Note: There are no classes on Saturday, Nov. 11 and Saturday, Nov. 25.
Pre-registration is encouraged. To sign-up, please contact the following participating branches to register:
- Bascom Branch: (408) 808-3077, or sign-up online
- Cambrian Branch: (408) 808-3080
- Vineland Branch: (408) 808-3000