Santa Clara County History: Digital Collections
Interested in historic images of Santa Clara County? The San Jose Public Library's California Room and SJSU Special Collections and University Archives share a database of images from their collections. The King Library Digital Collections database offers a vast wealth of scanned and digitized images of Santa Clara Valley’s past that document the history of the Valley from its agricultural beginnings to a bustling metropolis. These images can be searched by keyword or by collection.
Some selections include:
- Photographs of dusty Santa Clara Street, filled with horses, buggies and the inter-urban rail line
- Historic postcards of picturesque scenes around the Valley
- San Jose just after the 1906 earthquake
- Photos of San Jose State University students in 1910 (when it was a state teacher’s college)
- Images of the old San Jose City Hall which used to stand in the middle of Plaza de Cesar Chavez
- Historic photographs of the Fiesta de las Rosas parade
- And so much more…
Both library collections are constantly adding more images to the database, so check back often. If you are interested in the use of digital images for your research or publication, contact the department librarian holding the image.
by Mark Robertson