What We're Doing
June is LGBTQ+ Pride Month. We invite you to celebrate with us in several ways.
- Displays: Enjoy our book displays and decorations at several library locations. Don't forget to tag us on social media @sanjoselibrary if you want to share display photos with us.
- LGBTQ+ Resources: Explore our LGBTQ+ Resource page. It includes information about local organizations, recommended reading lists, and LGBTQ+ blog posts. This resource page is part of our Equity and Inclusion section of our website. You belong at San José Public Library
- Blog Posts: Browse our LGBTQ+ blog posts, past and present.
- Interactive Workshop Event: On Friday, June 24, join SJPL and the Billy DeFrank LGBTQ+ Community Center for an interactive workshop in celebration of Pride Month. We will discuss resources and programs available to LGBTQ+ residents of Silicon Valley and how you can help create a diverse, inclusive, and equitable community.
- Preferred Name: Did you know that starting this month, we have started to use your preferred name?
Your Preferred Name
As of Monday, June 6, 2022, San José Public Library started using preferred names for our customers. What is a preferred name? The term "preferred name" refers to the name that you want us to use for you. It might be different from your legal name.
How are we doing this?
There are two ways we can make that happen for you:
- Get a Library Card: Sign up for a free library card membership if you don't have one.
- If You Already Have a Card:
- Default: The current name we have on file defaults to your preferred name.
- Visit Location: If that needs to be updated, come to any library location.
- Talk to Staff: When you get there, ask a staff member to add or change your preferred name.
- Photo ID: Be sure to bring a valid photo ID with your legal name, so we can make the change or addition. If you are in middle or high school, you can use your student ID. If you are younger than middle school, you will need to bring your parent/guardian with you to make the change.
Why Are We Doing This?
Sometimes, the name given to us at birth does not reflect who we truly are inside and out. At San José Public Library, we want to welcome you for who you are. One way to do that is to use your preferred name.
When Can You Change/Add Your Preferred Name?
You can do this at any time now. We can't wait to start using your name!