Not Your Mother's Mysteries: Suspenseful Novels by Female Authors
As the nights grow longer and the days feel cooler, fall is the perfect season to relish in the twisting and winding of a well written mystery. The women in these stories are complex characters brought to life by female authors who fuel their writing with the everyday struggles and triumphs of modern women; ideas of feminism, amoral behavior, mental illness, motherhood, justice, and fear commingle with the standard "whodunit" plot. A word of caution, most of these titles will keep you up into the wee hours of the night through thrilling plot twists as well as the deeper meanings held within their pages.
- Still Missing by Chevy Stevens -- A thriller dealing with the aftermath of a tragic event. An abductee recounts her story of kidnapping, escape, and transition back into a regular world; suspenseful and scary reminiscent of both The Room and Silence of the Lambs.
- The Silent Wife by ASA Harrison -- This title is often compared to Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl but this novel packs a sobering subtle punch through more realistic and relatable protagonists; great development of both plot and character that drives the novel to its less than obvious end.
- These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf -- An easy read, the story of the lives of four women drawn together through the tragic life a small boy…we learn the "whys" before the "whats" in this interesting novel that delves into the meanings of motherhood.
- The Wicked Girls by Alex Marwood -- Two girls convicted of a heinous crime are reunited after years apart due to the happenings at an almost abandoned amusement park; for fans of Gillian Flynn and Tana French who enjoy following characters set loose by almost doomed circumstance.
- Dark Places by Gillian Flynn -- A young woman set adrift confronts her past and the shocking murders of her sisters and mother and the testimony that sent her older brother to prison for those murders. An interesting meditation on memory, truth, and the secrets we keep from ourselves.
- The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty -- A woman finds her husband’s intended deathbed confession amongst tax papers and old receipts; the contents of this letter will have far reaching ramifications for four different women dealing with their own emotional struggles. A page turner with suspense, mystery, and a contemplation on the consequences of choosing both right and wrong.