Life Skills Academy: Self-Defense
Self-defense is a tricky topic and almost impossible to teach online through a video. We recommend that you attend a physical workshop or join a martial arts dojo. Many dojos have classes specifically for basic self-defense. We also recommend these reliable books and websites.
- The Ultimate Guide to Reality-Based Self-Defense by The Editors of Black Belt
Guide to hand-to-hand self-defense with color photographs.
- Fight Back: Arm Yourself with Mental and Physical Self-Defense by Dominick DiVito
Manual of techniques for self-defense against physical attacks.
- 3 Self-Defense Moves Everyone Should Know (video)
Short video (length: 2:37) from the Wall Street Journal demonstrating three simple self-defense moves.
- Basic Self Defense Moves Anyone Can Do (and Everyone Should Know)
Article containing photos and videos to illustrate basic self-defense skills, starting with personal security precautions.
- T.A.K.E. Foundation Self Defense Tips
Personal safety tips to stay aware when walking, driving, or at home alone.