Life Skills Academy: First Aid
First aid isn’t something that just anyone can teach, nor is it something we’d feel comfortable just posting a video online. We recommend taking a first aid class like the ones offered by the American Red Cross.
You can find your local chapter here: http://www.redcross.org/find-your-local-chapter. We also recommend that you check out the following books and websites to learn more yourself.
- First Aid Manual (2014) by Gina M. Piazza
A step-by-step first aid manual with color illustrations from the American College of Emergency Physicians.
- First Aid, CPR, and AED Standard (2017) by Alton Thygerson
Training textbook developed by the Emergency Care & Safety Institute.
- First aid, CPR, and AED Guide: Expert Advice to Handle Your Next Household Emergency: Essential Lifesaving Skills
Guide to first aid, CPR and AED from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American College of Emergency Physicians.
- Outward Bound Wilderness First-Aid Handbook by Jeffrey Isaac
Reference book for diagnosing and treating wilderness injuries based on the Wilderness Medical Associates curriculum.
- The Everything First Aid Book: How to Handle Falls & Breaks, Insect Bites & Rashes, Cuts & Scrapes, Choking, Burns & Poisoning by Nadine Saubers
Survival guide for first aid at home, in the outdoors, and on the road.
- First Aid Steps from the American Red Cross
A step-by-step guide to help you remember basic first aid steps in case of emergency.
- Information to Help You During a Medical Emergency from the Mayo Clinic
Links to basic first aid for more than 50 common injuries, from fainting to choking to head trauma.