eSpotlight - The Wright Brothers
December 17 is the anniversary of the Wright Brothers famous 1903 flight in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina; the first controlled & sustained flight of a heavier-than-air craft. Learn more about Wilbur & Orville and other aviation pioneers using our many eBooks and eResources.
The Wright Brothers
Wilbur and Orville started out in the bicycle repair and sales business where they gained the mechanical skills that later helped them with their interest in flight. Read more about them and their famous first flight:
- The Wright Brothers (Biography in Context)
- The Wright Brothers (EBSCO)
- Orville Wright Describes the Flight at Kitty Hawk, 1903 (US History in Context)
- First Flight (EBSCO)
- Wright Brothers Flyer (Science in Context)
- That First Flight (US History in Context)
We even have eBooks for younger readers looking to learn more:
Other Early Aviation Pioneers
Check out a book or biography of just a few of the many other inventors, pilots, and pioneers of aviation or read about the history and science of aviation at Science in Context.
- Louis Blériot
- Bessie Coleman
- Glenn Curtiss
- Amelia Earhart
- Samuel Langley
- Otto Lilienthal
- Charles A. Lindbergh, Jr.
- Harriet Quimby
- Alberto Santos-Dumont
- Igor Sikorsky