eSpotlight - Getting Started with Pressbooks: First Steps to Setting up Your First Book
You've created a BiblioBoard account and are ready to start your book. What's next?
There are two different ways you can get to the San José Public Library's Pressbooks site:
- Go directly to sjpl.pressbooks.pub, OR
- Navigate there through the SJPL website:
Onward to Pressbooks!
- When you get to SJPL's Pressbooks site, you'll be asked to sign in with your BiblioBoard account.
- Make sure to have your login information handy.
- Click on the blue box near the bottom of the screen that says "Connect via BlblioBoard".
- Type in your username and password, and you're in!
Set up your book:
- The first screen you see when you sign in to Pressbooks for the first time will be like the screenshot above.
- You need to set up your first book by creating a URL for the web version and adding a title.
- The URL can't be changed, so be sure to choose very carefully.
- The best URL to choose is the title of the book.
- You can use letters and/or numbers in your URL, but they must be lower case.
- A URL that would work looks something like this: sjpl.pressbooks.pub/mybook or sjpl.pressbooks.pub/mybook1. You can just type in the title of your book as you want it to look.
- The last thing you need to do before you create your book, is to decide if you want your webbook to be visible to the public. Since you are just getting started, I would recommend that you choose "No". You can change it later when you're ready to share with others.
- Click on "Create Book". The initial set-up is finished. Now it's time to start putting your book together!
More Lessons Coming Soon
Keep an eye on our blog posts for another lesson very soon. If you'd like to learn more about Pressbooks, attend one of our workshops this fall.