Early Literacy At Home: January 2018 Calendar
These fun and simple activities are just one way to help develop your child's pre-reading skills. Pick and choose or try them all!
Visit sjpl.org/events to find library programs and events near you!
January 2018 Activities
- January 1: Try a new food today
- January 2: Share a story with someone special
- January 3: Find five red objects in your room
- January 4: What is the weather like today?
- January 5: How long is a minute? Set a timer and see how long you can keep your eyes closed
- January 6: Draw a picture using your favorite color
- January 7: Talk about the pictures in a book before you read it
- January 8: Line up shoes from largest to smallest
- January 9: Have a dance party with your toys
- January 10: Talk about firefighters. How do they help people?
- January 11: Try to make different size circles with your fingers and hands
- January 12: Count the number of steps from your bed ot the kitchen
- January 13: Make up verses to your favorite nursery rhyme
- January 14: When sharing a story, use your child's name as the main character
- January 15: Check out ABC Mouse for fun learning games at home
- January 16: Spell different letters in the air with your finger
- January 17: Count from one to ten on yor fingers, then one to ten on your child's fingers
- January 18: Play a game of Simon Says when cleaning up toys
- January 19: Play a game of I Spy during bath time
- January 20: How many shapes can you make using Q-tips?
- January 21: Clap to a rhythm, have your child repeat your pattern
- January 22: Move like different animals. Sideways like a crab, hopping like a kangaroo
- January 23: What happens when you pour oil and vinegar into a jar?
- January 24: Talk about your day. Where are you going? Who will you see?
- January 25: Sing a favorite nursery rhyme during breakfast
- January 26: What words rhyme with "rain"?
- January 27: Practice rolling a ball back and forth. As challenges as you go
- January 28: Play outside today
- January 29: Practice tracing shapes in the air with your finger
- January 30: Talk about the days of the week
- January 31: Act out different action words: Jump, clap, spin, etc.