Early Literacy Activities to do at Home: October 2017 Calendar
These fun and simple activities are just one way to help develop your child's pre-reading skills. Pick and choose or try them all!
Visit sjpl.org/events to find library programs and events near you!
October 2017 Calendar of Activities
- October 1: Sing "Happy Birthday" to one of your favorite toys
- October 2: Play with pots and pans
- October 3: Count backwards from 10
- October 4: Visit the library
- October 5: Make a list of sounds you hear in your neighborhood
- October 6: Count to 5 on your fingers
- October 7: Name the days of the week
- October 8: Try a new food
- October 9: LIBRARY CLOSED - COLUMBUS DAY HOLIDAY - Use only the pictures in a book to tell the story
- October 10: Sing a song to your favorite toy
- October 11: Use Q-tips and paint to make a picture
- October 12: Make a list of all the different types of animals that fly
- October 13: What is one thing that made you smile today?
- October 14: Draw faces on old socks to make puppets
- October 15: Make up a sentence using only letter "B" words
- October 16: Imagine a different ending to a favorite story
- October 17: Make a list of your family members
- October 18: What words rhyme with "ball"?
- October 19: Clap to the syllables in your name
- October 20: Tell someone about your favorite character
- October 21: Visit the library
- October 22: Play a game of I Spy during bath time
- October 23: Pick a letter and look for that letter everywhere you go
- October 24: Try saying the alphabet backwards
- October 25: Sing "The Wheels on the Bus"
- October 26: Draw as many shapes as you can
- October 27: Practice cutting with scissors
- October 28: Play "Simon Says"
- October 29: Sing the "ABC" song
- October 30: Play with bubbles
- October 31: Pick out a book for bedtime stories