Early Literacy Activities to do at Home: August 2017 Calendar
These fun and simple activities are just one way to help develop your child's pre-reading skills. Pick and choose or try them all!
Visit sjpl.org/events to find library programs and events near you!
August 2017 Calendar of Activities
- August 1: Learn about your favorite fruit. How does it grow?
- August 2: Read a book about your favorite animals.
- August 3: Build a house using pillows, blankets and chairs.
- August 4: Make up a song about hats.
- August 5: Play dress-up with old Halloween costumes.
- August 6: Look outside your window. What do you see?
- August 7: Count the number of garbage trucks you pass on a car ride.
- August 8: What happens when you put paper into a bowl of water.
- August 9: Visit the library.
- August 10: Talk about the weather. Is it hot or cold outside?
- August 11: Practice spelling your name out loud.
- August 12: Pick out your own clothes.
- August 13: Count the number of shirts in your closet.
- August 14: Pretend your bed is a plane. Where will you go?
- August 15: Which will fall to the floor faster; a piece of tissue paper or a cotton ball?
- August 16: Point to the letters on a page as your read together.
- August 17: What rhymes with the word "bat"?
- August 18: Visit the library.
- August 19: Try a new food today.
- August 20: What is one thing that made you smile today?
- August 21: Visit the library.
- August 22: Learn how to spell the name of your favorite food.
- August 23: What letters are in the word "BOOK"?
- August 24: Share a book with someone special.
- August 25: Tell a friend, a pet or a stuffed animal a story about your day.
- August 26: Help in the kitchen! Add one ingredient into the mixing bowl.
- August 27: Point to the pictures on a page when you say the word.
- August 28: Have a dance party with your toys.
- August 29: What letter does your favorite color start with?
- August 30: Draw, scribble or write today.
- August 31: How high can you count when you're washing your hands?