Coming Soon... Graphic Novel Making Contest 2019
Get Ready! Our annual Graphic Novel Contest is coming soon!
June 1 – July 31, 2019
If you have a talent for creating comic/Manga-style illustrated short stories, you are invited to enter San José Public Library’s Graphic Novel Making Contest for all ages as part of our 2019 Summer Learning Challenge.
- Create your own comic book with a maximum length of 8 pages, including the cover page.
- Use letter-size paper (8.5 x 11) with black-and-white drawings and text on one side only.
- Each submission must be the creative and original work of the submitting author/illustrator. Any submissions with more than one author/illustrator will be considered a single entry judged under the age category of the oldest author/illustrator listed and will share any prizes possibly awarded.
- The contest is limited to amateur authors/ illustrators only.
- Computer generated images are acceptable as long as they are your original work (no clip art)
- Consider submitting a photocopy that is an accurate reflection of the original (we cannot guarantee that submissions will be returned).
- San José Public Library reserves the right to reproduce your work. You can reuse all your work after the contest.
- Print and complete the Graphic Novel Making Contest Entry Form and the Photo / Creative Works Release Form. Forms turned in without the Photo/Creative Works Release Form will be ineligible.
- Entries can be submitted to any San José Public Library location no later than 7:00 PM on Wednesday, July 31, 2019.
- Entries can also be submitted through our online portal or via email to email@example.com as a JPEG or PDF attachment. Digital entries can be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on Wednesday, July 31.
- There is a limit of one entry per contestant.
Entries will be judged using a rubric scale covering the following: overall story, originality, creativity and illustrations; by a panel of library staff and community professionals. All cash prizes will be awarded as gift cards.
Age Groups and Prizes
- Children ages 0-7: Gift and art supply baskets awarded for first, second and third place winners.
- Children ages 8-9: Gift and art supply baskets awarded for first, second and third place winners.
- Pre-Teens (10-12): Gift and art supply baskets awarded for first, second and third place winners.
- Teens (13-17): First place $100; second place $75; third place $50
- Adults (18+): First place $100; second place $75; third place $50
Check back for more prize info!
Check out the award winning entries from 2010-2017 at your local San Jose Public Library or in the Library’s catalog. UPDATE: 2018 winners are now featured on our BiblioBoard page! Check them out now!
San José Public Library staff members are ineligible to participate.
San José Public Library reserves the right to refuse submissions that are not appropriate for a general audience. This contest is open to all California residents.