Calling All Kids: Story to Stage Writing Contest with Happy Hollow Park & Zoo
Happy Hollow Park & Zoo and the San José Public Library have partnered to present our first joint writing contest, Story to Stage. This Spring, help Happy Hollow Park & Zoo find a new story to add to their puppet theater!
March 1 - April 12
Write an original story about Danny the Dragon, the Happy Hollow Park & Zoo mascot. The winner will be recognized at Happy Hollow on Saturday, May 11, 2019 and their story will become the inspiration for a brand new puppet show at Happy Hollow’s Puppet Castle Theater.
Submissions are accepted between March 1 and April 12, 2019.
Stories can be submitted in person at Happy Hollow, at any San José Public Library branch, or online.
- Open to fifth graders and below (San José residents and/or Happy Hollow members.)
- Must be an original story. (Stories cannot be inspired by characters or plots from movies, television or books.)
- Up to one page in length or less.
- Up to six characters in the story.
- Must be child's original ideas in their own words. Adults can help write, but no need to edit or correct grammar.
- Consider submitting a photocopy that is an accurate reflection of the original (as submissions are non-returnable).
- 1st Place: Story will be adapted to the stage for the Puppet Theater Castle, tickets to Happy Hollow Park & Zoo, certificate of achievement & a Danny the Dragon Plush Toy
- 2nd Place: Danny the Dragon Plush Toy, certificate of achievement
- 3rd Place: Danny the Dragon Plush Toy, certificate of achievement
The awards ceremony will take place at Happy Hollow Park & Zoo on Saturday, May 11, 2019. The top three stories will be read to an audience and prizes will be awarded to the storytellers.