Census 2020 at the Library
Every 10 years, the U.S. Census Bureau sets out to count every person living in the United States regardless of age, citizenship status, or gender. Become a Volunteer Census Ambassador and help ensure your community gets counted.
What Volunteer Census Ambassadors Do
As a Volunteer Census Ambassador, you will:
- Raise awareness about the Library Census Station at your local SJPL Branch Library
- Provide basic information about the 2020 Census purpose and importance
- Refer customers to resources where they can learn more about the Census
Here are some additional details:
- 2-4 hours a week from March 12 to May 12, 2020
- Training and orientation provided
- Must be age 15 or older
- Adults (18+) will need to submit a fingerprint background check before volunteering
How to Become a Volunteer Census Ambassador
You can become a volunteer in three easy steps.
Step 2: Complete Volunteer Training
- This comprehensive online training covers the background and importance of the US Census, how Library Census Stations help ensure an accurate count, as well as how to respond to customer questions.
- The training will take about 80 minutes to complete. Feel free to take breaks and return to the training, you will be able to skip to any section of the training at any time.
- At the end of the training, you will be asked to take a short online quiz using the username and password you created when you applied to volunteer at SJPL.
Step 3: Get Started at Your Branch
- You will receive a New Volunteer Orientation from a Library staff member at your branch
How to Get More Information
Visit the opportunity listing for more information and available locations.