Bear Advice - Poetry Month
Al & Sam are back for National Poetry Month!
Make sure to drop by the California Room to view the Lost Poets Exhibit. Discover the long-lost poems and poets of pre-1915 California. The rare books will be on display for a limited time, so hurry on over!
While you are there, pick up an Emergency Pocket Poem. Don't be caught without one on April 27, 2017 - Poem in your Pocket Day!
Al & Sam's Top Ten Pocket Poem Uses
- Quickly change topics
- Increase your suaveness
- Make a sweet first impressions
- Fill an awkward pause
- Initiate a conversation
- Cultured & classy distractions
- Infect others with a love for poetry
- Woo a potential partner
- Rekindle a run-down romance
- Swagaliciousness (*ahem* not a real word...)
Utilize these resources through the library or online!
- The Anthology of Really Important Modern Poetry: Timeless Poems by Snooki, John Boehner, Kanye West, and Other Well-Versed Celebrities by Kathryn Petras.
- Poems. Series I-III, Complete by Emily Dickinson; edited by Mabel Loomis Todd, T.W. Higginson
Check Out in Person
- The Road Not Taken: a Selection of Robert Frost's Poems with an introduction and commentary by Louis Untermeyer; illustrations by John O'Hara Cosgrave II
- The Complete Poetry of Edgar Allan Poe with an introduction by Jay Parini
- Love Poems from Spain & Spanish America selected and translated by Perry Higman
Poetry for Children
- From Daybreak to Good Night: Poems for Children by Carl Sandburg; art by Lynn Smith-Ary
- The Days Gone By [CD]: [the poetry of Emily Dickinson ... [et al.] in song]
- We Love BUGS: Classic Poems for Children of All Ages by Lee, Calee M.
- BiblioBoard – Explore indie artists or self publish an eBook
- Poetry and Short Story Reference Center: Complete poems and short stories, criticism, and information about poets and authors.
- Literary Reference Center: Literary criticism, plot summaries, biographies, poems, short stories, and reviews. For high school level and up.
- View rare and pre-195 poetry books online: Tip - select "Page Flip View" to flip through the virtual book!
Al & Sam help organize poetry books behind the scenes.
- Shell Silverstein's Learning Resources: Access FREE Poetry Month Activity Packets, Lessons, Activites, and MORE!
- Receive a poem-a-day in your e-mail inbox!
- National Poetry Writing Month website
Al & Sam working on a poetry packet.