Battle of the Bands 2016: Official Information and Rules
Official Information & Rules:
- San José Public Library’s 9th Annual Battle of the Bands is open to local teen musicians in the San Jose area between the ages of 12-18.
- This event encourages teens to explore and express themselves using technology.
- This contest is open to all musical genres and styles, but no obscene or offensive lyrics are allowed. Inappropriate lyrics or behavior will result in immediate disqualification.
- Participants may enter together as a group, or as a solo performer. Solo performers must play an accompanying instrument.
- In order to enter, contestants must submit by completing this Google Form by Friday, October 14, 2016, which must include a link to the band/performer’s music online, as well as:
- The name of the band/performer, and names, ages, and schools of all members (Any personal information, including names and contact info, will NOT be posted online)
- A brief description of the band, to be used on the contest webpage
- A contact name, phone number, email, and guardian contact where the contestants can be reached.
- **All links provided must contain at least one song performed by the band that the public can access and hear online, such as YouTube video with sound.
- By entering online, you are agreeing to have your link posted on the official SJPL Battle of the Bands voting contest page, where voters will go online from October 17-28, 2016 to listen to the contestants and choose their favorites. The top five finalists will be contacted and announced on October 31, 2016.
- The finalists will be determined by a combination of the number of online votes and the quality of the music performance submitted. If a submission does not meet a minimum standard of performance quality it will be removed from the competition.
- The top five finalists from the online voting contest must be available to play the live concert finale on Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 3:00 pm the Almaden Branch Library & Community Center (6445 Camden Ave, San Jose), where they will have up to 20 minutes to perform their set.
- The top 5 finalists chosen for the final competition must complete a contestant packet and sign a release form for pictures prior to competing at the final event.
- Judges have the final decision in selecting winners at the live final concert. The judging panel will consist of several figures from the local music scene.
Judging at the final competition is based on:
- Musical ability- vocal/instrumental skill, fluidity, intonation
- Originality- quality original material or quality interpretation of covers
- Professionalism- set-up and breakdown time, introductions, acknowledgements
- Stage presence/style- confidence, dynamics, audience enthusiasm
- Extra Weight of 1 pt. given to ensembles with three or more instruments due to the difficulty of ensemble playing.
The panel of judges will vote on a scale from 1-10 in each of the categories. All scores will be added up and the sum will be the band’s final score, which will determine 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. Prize structure is as follows:
- 1st Place $250
- 2nd Place $150
- 3rd Place $50
- **All cash prizes will be provided as gift cards.