Tax help is available again this year at several of our libraries. See below for a complete list of opportunities.
VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance)
VITA offers free tax help to hard working individuals and families whose income is less than $54,000. Assistance is available in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese at most locations. All locations provide e-File. Volunteers are trained to prepare basic 2018 Forms 1040 with Schedule A, B, limited Schedule CEZ, C and California Income Tax Returns ONLY! You also CANNOT be filing as "Married, Filing Separate returns".
What to Bring:
- Photo ID and Social Security card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for each family member.
- W-2 forms and all 1099, or all other tax forms you received.
- A copy of last year's federal and state tax return, if available.
- Bank account number and routing number for direct deposit.
- Health coverage information (1095-A,B,C) if bought through Covered CA.
- more details
VITA Library Sites:
- East San José Carnegie Branch - Saturdays, 10:15 AM - 1:15 PM, Feb. 2 - Apr. 6
- Hillview Branch - Saturdays, 2:00 - 5:00 PM, Feb. 19 - Apr. 13
- Seven Trees Branch - Saturdays, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM, Feb. 2 - Apr. 13
VITA volunteers are also available at many other Santa Clara County locations. For questions, call 1-800-906-9887.
For those with incomes under $55,000, a volunteer from Tax-Aid will prepare your tax return, or teach you how to do it yourself, using a free version of Turbo Tax on your own laptop, or a desktop in the computer lab. No appointment is necessary.
Tax-Aid Library Sites:
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library - Saturdays, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM, Feb. 9 & 23, Mar. 9 & 23, Apr. 13
Where to Get Tax Forms
Our Libraries do not carry tax forms. You are encouraged to get the forms online: