2019 Gira de Libro Library Tour by Bicycle
Join us for the sixth annual Gira de Libro Library Tour by Bicycle on Saturday, May 11, 2019
The ride will visit the following libraries:
- Bascom Branch
- Rose Garden Branch
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library
- Joyce Ellington Branch
- East San Jose Carnegie Branch
- Biblioteca Latinoamericana Branch
- Willow Glen Branch
Register online at Eventbrite
- Children under the age of 13 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian.
- Meeting Location: Bascom Branch Library at 1000 South Bascom Avenue
- Length: 16 miles
- Route Map: Map available on MapMyRide (link coming soon)
- Participants: Everyone who is powering a bicycle must be a competent rider, able to ride in a straight line and keep 5-10 miles per hour pace for 16 miles
- Pace: The Tour is ridden at a casual, leisurely pace and we stay together as a group
- CA helmet law: Persons under age 18 must wear a helmet
- NOTE: The bicycle tour will not be held in the event of inclement weather
- 8:45 AM Check-in begins at Bascom Branch
- 9:30 AM Bicycle safety talk
- 9:45 AM Depart Bascom Branch
- 10:10 AM Arrive Rose Garden Branch
- 11:00 AM Arrive King Library
- 11:50 AM Arrive Joyce Ellington Branch
- 12:30 PM Arrive East San Jose Carnegie Branch
- 1:15 PM Arrive Biblioteca Latinoamericana Branch
- 2:25 PM Arrive Willow Glen Branch
- 3:15 PM Arrive Bascom Branch
- 3:30 PM Finish
Library stops will include library tours, snacks and activities.
*NOTE: Longer stop at Biblioteca Latinoamericana Branch for light lunch provided by San Jose Public Library
Stuff to Bring
In addition to having a bicycle in good working condition, please bring your own following items for a more comfortable and safer ride:
- Reusable water bottle
- Lunch and snacks
- Bike helmet
- Layers and/or weather appropriate clothing
Share the adventure or follow the journey:
Why Bicycle Library Tours?
The Gira de Libro Library Tour by Bicycle is a fun tour for library lovers and bicycle enthusiasts. With the growing momentum of bicycle awareness, advocacy and infrastructure in Silicon Valley, libraries are pursuing innovative bicycle-related services and programming. Hosting library bicycle tours increases the visibility of our libraries and get librarians out into the community.
Library bicycle tours appeal to a broad demographic including young adults, adults and families. They bring people of all ages together and highlight the importance and significance of the library's role in the community and in bringing people together. Additionally, library bicycle tours get people of all ages out of cars and moving, showing that bicycling is a viable means of transportation to the library and everyday use.
What's in a name?
The name of the Tour, Gira de Libro Library Tour by Bicycle, is a play on the name of the famous Italian professional road bike stage race, Gira D'Italia, which starts May 11. SJPL's Gira de Libro roughly translates to "turns of the book" or "book tour."