- March 1, 2020: Census questionnaire assistance is available via phone in 12 languages.
- March 12, 2020: Participate in the census early online.
- April 1, 2020: Census Day - Participate in the census online, by phone, or by mail.
- May 1, 2020: People experiencing homelessness will be counted at shelters, at locations that provide services to them, and at select outdoor locations.
- May 28 – August 14, 2020: People who have not responded to the census will receive reminders and/or personal visits.
- September 30, 2020: Census data collection ends.
Why is it important?
Services such as health, housing, transportation, education, child services, and more, are provided with $675-billion in annual federal funding. California gets a portion of this money depending on the number of people who fill out the Census.
Census data is also used to:
- Allocate the number of representatives in Congress among states
- Draw districts for state and local elections
- Draw the congressional district boundaries
- Plan where to build schools, hospitals, businesses, homes, public transit, and more