Together We Read Family Literacy Program
Partners in Reading adult learners who are the primary caregivers of children from birth to 13 are able to participate in the family literacy program, Together We Read. The goal of Together We Read is to introduce adult literacy learners and their families to the value and joy of reading and learning together. In addition, PAR learners receive parenting information to promote literacy.
- Book giveaways
- Parenting tips
- Workshops for parents and kids
Here are a few facts about family literacy and the program:
- For many of the Together We Read families, the donated children’s books are the first book they have actually owned, and they are thrilled with them.
- The donated books will be distributed throughout the year to PAR's Together We Read families.
- Low literacy is cyclical and is passed from one generation to the next.
- Children from families with low literacy are 50% more likely not to be literate.
Meet Enrique and His Family
In the video below, Enrique talks about how his family is affected by his reading and writing problems. PAR's Together We Read program helps adults get their kids ready for school so they can learn, and supports the children while they are in school.
Children like to hear stories and answer questions about the stories. They especially like stories that repeat words and have a rhythm. Watch this video to hear a story that will help kids get ready to read and get ready for school.
How many skills did your kids practice when they watched this video?
Here is an article from the Los Angeles Times about an adult who struggled throughout his life with reading and writing. When he went to his local library and joined the tutoring program, his world changed. He is now an avid reader, a national advocate for literacy, and a new member of his local school board.
Together We Read Resources
At Your San Jose Public Library
Listen to a story:
Books you might like:
Free and fun for the family at your library
News You Can Use
Help for you and your children
- First 5 Santa Clara County
- Information for parents
- More Information for parents
- Learn together in your home
- Social Workers in the Library
- Lawyers in the Library