On this page:
- Posting Guidelines for User-Generated Content
- Open Government Policy
Content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License
Per City of San José regulations, content posted to this site containing any of the following will be removed:
- Comments not topically related to the particular content being commented upon;
- Profane language or content;
- Content that promotes, fosters or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation;
- Sexual content or links to sexual content;
- Solicitations of commerce;
- Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity;
- Disparaging remarks which impute motives to a person's action (statements of fact or opinion generally are not considered disparaging remarks);
- Personal information provided to the City by a private individual, with the reasonable expectation that the information will remain confidential;
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems; or
- Content that violates intellectual property rights or other legal ownership interest of any other party, including but not limited to copyright, trade secrets, trademarks and publicity rights.
When you visit the Library's website we collect and store only enough information to provide statistics to assist us in making our site more useful to you, or providing you with a requested service. That information will not be shared with third parties unless required by law or with the consent of the subject of the data.
The information we collect is used only for the above purposes and includes:
- The address (IP) of your computer or internet provider
- The date and time of the visit
- Pages or files viewed during the visit
- Browser and operating system type
- The internet address of the website that referred you to our site, if any
This information is aggregated using automatic statistics software. Personal information is not associated with the above data, which is only collected in aggregate.
The Library's website uses "cookies" to allow you access to certain functions (such as the catalog and subscription databases) within our site. These cookie files are tiny data elements that our web servers send to your hard drive temporarily and do not capture any personal user information. Most temporary cookie files are automatically deleted when you close your browser and you may also set your browser to not allow cookies or to notify you when you receive a cookie. Most parts of our website are still accessible without accepting cookies, but some interactive functionality will be lost.
All of the data collected is protected against loss, unauthorized use, access, modification, and disclosure. Access to this data is limited only to those employees who need access in order to perform their assigned duties. The Library will not sell, lease, or otherwise distribute or disclose the collected information for non-Library purposes to outside parties unless required by law or with the consent of the subject of the data.
Any information that is collected is subject to the privacy requirements set forth in the Information Practices Act of 1977 (California Civil Code Section 1798 et seq.) and the requirements for administering information systems in California Government Code Section 11015.5.
Some of the Library website pages contain links to sites controlled by different agencies or entities, whose privacy practices are not subject to our own policies.
The views of the individuals posting comments do not necessarily represent the views of the City. Every attempt is made to ensure that the information posted on this website by library staff is correct. The library makes no testament to the accuracy of user generated content. The library reserves the right to make changes and improvements at any time and without notice. The library assumes no liability for any errors, omissions, or inaccuracies in the information provided regardless of how caused. If you find any errors or omissions, please report them to the webmaster at: email@example.com
Links to commercial, government, or non-profit sites are added if they are educational or informational in nature. Linking to a site or service does not constitute approval, support or endorsement by the San José Public Library.
The City of San José is committed to open and honest government and strives to consistently meet the community’s expectations by providing excellent service, in a positive and timely manner, and in the full view of the public. For more information, see the City’s Code of Ethics, Council Policy 0-15.