Congratulations BOTB 2013 Winners!
Lizard Kingdom Progressive Rock
“Lizard Kingdom is heavily influenced by bands such as the Fall of Troy, Ricky Martin, Sha Na Na, Nickelback, Milli Vanilli, and Brian Wilson. In our spare time, we enjoy making balloon animals. Collectively our favorite food is pickles. Our pre-show ritual is we gather around, and run with scissors to display bravery.”
"Cactus is a group that plays for the sheer love of all different kinds of music, whether it be jazz, blues, alternative, classic rock, or Motown. Each practice is always different consisting of spontaneous new ideas every time. We enjoy the simple things in life, humor, and acting weird and crazy!"
Half N Half Indie Rock
“We have been together since Fall 2011, and started out playing covers. But with HALF of us wanting to play this, n Half of us wanting to play that, we finally decided to collaborate to write our own music! “
The library gratefully acknowledges the generous contributions of its community sponsors:
Teens ages 12-18 can join in on all the fun and participate in the competition for a chance to perform at a live concert in March and WIN awesome prizes!
The top FIVE finalists will compete for prizes at a live publicized concert on Saturday, March 24, at 3 p.m. at Almaden Branch Library and Community Center. The finalists will have up to 20 minutes to perform their set in front of an audience and a judging panel of local music experts. All are invited to attend this exciting concert event, which will showcase local talented youth. The judges will determine the grand prize winner of San Jose Public Library's Battle of the Bands!
We are Asyla, and we enjoy writing and composing hard rock and indie music. We enjoy long walks
on the beach, and candle lit dinners under the sunset. We are inspired by 80's aerobic workout videos. As a group we strive to play music that people will love. And we enjoy Karate.
The Gist is an eclectic (but not necessarily experimental) music group playing various styles of rock (alternative, classic, blues-rock) and some quieter, jazzy arrangements. The Gist enjoys writing original material as well as covering and interpreting some of their favorite artists' songs.
We are an experimental metal band named Kagemusha that formed in 2007. Previously known as Shackled Gunmen/Chorus of the Dead. The demo album record on purevolume is about a year old. The Music there are only our instrumentals. Live performances include singing.
Some Random People (SRP) was formed in the summer of 2010, born out of a common musical interest and love for classic rock. This year brings them into a new phase. They have started working on original music and have never been more excited about their future.
Theseus is a progressive rock band who writes songs featuring many metre changes as well as extended instrumental sections. Their influences include Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, King Crimson, Muse, and Radiohead.
For more information contact (408) 808-2175.
5) You have the chance to win $250! What can you buy with $250?? Tons of things like: 500 Jack-in-the-Box tacos, 41 movies at Camera Cinemas, 50 Starbucks’ Tall Mocha Frappuccino…. or more important things like new guitar strings, sound equipment, or awesome matching fedoras.
4) Increase your fanbase! Did you know that over 7 million bodies come through our doors every year? That’s a lot of Facebook friends.
3) Get a jump start on your rockstar career early! The average age of the members of The Rolling Stones is about 66; that means at least 50 years of rock for your band!
2) Make rock concerts in libraries a good thing! San José Public Libraries are not places where you can only wear rubber soled shoes and have the potential of being shushed. They are thriving, active, and fun community hotspots. Do your part to keep the library that way!
1) Make your parents/family/friends proud. Yeah, I know; that sounds kind of lame, but it’s true. Performing in front of live audiences is really nerve wrecking, but the end result is the pride you and your loved ones will feel when they see you on stage.
So sign up NOW for our annual Battle of the Bands competition!